Saturday, January 15, 2011

Mom, don't your kids deserve the best?

That's the question posed on a commercial I just saw.  My answer? NO!  They don't!  My kids do not deserve the best!  They haven't done anything to earn special rights.  They don't deserve the most expensive glasses, or the brand new car, or the name brand jeans.  For that matter, neither do I.  Come on America, wake up!!  We do not DESERVE the best.  We are not entitled to top of the line products simply because we exist!  It is awesome if we can work hard, earn money, and purchase bright shinny new things, but we do not by any means deserve them!  CG found out that she does not deserve money.  If she keeps her room reasonably clean and treats me with respect, I may choose to give her money - but she does not deserve it.  Madi found out that she does not deserve a cell phone, or computer/TV rights.  If she does her homework and keeps passing grades, her daddy may choose to let her have a cell phone and watch TV, but she does not deserve it.  "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."  Folks we don't deserve anything!  I'm not sure when we came to have this sense of entitlement in our country, and I know I am guilty of it too, but sometimes it really really makes me mad when people assume they will get the best in life without feeling any obligation to work for what they want.
Reminds me of another quote (no clue where it is originally from, but I think I first read it in a chapter intro of Huxley's Brave New World)

A man says to the universe "Sir!  I exist!"
The universe replies, "That instills in me no sense of obligation."

Okay, stepping down off the soap box!  Sorry for the rant.... I feel better now!
~staci~

No comments:

Post a Comment