Monday, January 3, 2011

What a day!

Today was the first day back to school. (Note that I really wanted to start that with "Well," but I didn't!)  The kids were okay... morning class was really loud.  No, make that REALLY LOUD.  Other than that it was okay... they weren't too out of control and nobody had really forgotten the rules as sometimes happens.  CG forgot her instrument and after a few tear filled panicked calls, a sweet friend came to our house, braved the wrath of Rufus, dared to enter the sty that is CG's room... found her instrument and drove it to the High School!  Thank you Brian! you are my hero!

Things didn't get crazy until this afternoon. I have two girls in my pm class that ride together. I's mommy picks up N and brings them both to school.  The girls were late today and Mr. Garcia opened the door for them and I's mommy started talking to him.  I knew it was serious when they stepped out into the hall.  N came in and said her "brother was bleeding there" and pointed to her chin.  I figured he fell or got a scratch or something, no big deal.  When Mr. Garcia came in he had a strange look on his face and he called me to the side.  It seems when I's mom came to N's house the little boy was asleep on the couch but she couldn't wake him up.  When she picked him up blood gushed out of his mouth (gushed was the work I's mommy used)  They called the ambulance and I's mom convinced N's mom that the best place for her to be was school, so they came.  Now let me say right now that I know teachers are not supposed to have favorites.... but we do.  You can't help it, some kiddos pull on your heart strings!  Well N is one of my favs.  She is so sweet I just fell in love from the start!  So here this horrible thing has happened to MY BABY!  Uggghhh.  I was just sick, I wanted to throw up all afternoon!  We didn't know if maybe little N had just watched her baby brother die!!!  I emailed everyone I had an email for at my church and asked if there was anything we could do. (side note:  this family was one of the families our church bought stuff for at Christmas so I was hoping that the deacon that delivered the kids gifts might be able to go to the hospital and check on them since they would have already had some contact)  Our church secretary called the two deacons that were in town (pastor was in Lubbock) and said they were en route to the hospital.  I asked her to keep me updated and she sent me an email later that said the boy was okay (at least still alive!) and was going to be moved to Amarillo.  The church loaned them a vehicle so dad could get back and go to work tomorrow (boss said he had to be there).  Well grandma came to pick N up after school and as I was helping N get in the car I asked how things were and she was filling me in.  Grandma had never met me before, didn't know even my name yet.  One of the first things she told me is that people from Calvary Baptist Church were at the hospital almost immediately.  She was so impressed by that.  She was also grateful that CBC had loaned dad a car to get him to the hospital in Amarillo.  She said "I don't know how they knew to come, but I am so glad they were there!"  I can not even express the joy and pride I felt when I told her "That is my church.  I contacted them as soon as I heard, and I am so glad they were able to come out and help you"  THEN I introduced myself and told her we would be praying for the family.  I still don't know exactly what is wrong with the little guy, but I feel better that he is in Amarillo and being cared for by doctors and nurses that can help.  To the deacons at CBC and Debra... Thank you so much for responding so fast to a family in need.  It meant so much to me to know that my church was taking care of this family! I love you guys!

So, that crisis managed, on to after school.... Madi had an follow up appointment with the podiatrist for a procedure he had done 3 weeks ago for her warts.  The results of that medicine were amazing... I actually think it was a miracle!  Well, he had to apply a little more of the stuff to the two tiny warts that remained.  Then Madi brought to his attention that she thought she had an ingrown toenail.  He poked and said "Oh my gosh, yes, you can feel the nail right here!"  Bad mommy... I thought she had a callus or something... no, it is her toenail growing sideways in her toe!!!!  So in addition to the painful medicine treatment, she also had surgery today!! They gave her a shot to deaden it... actually I think there were at least 3 needles! then he pulled her skin to one side and cut her nail and killed the nail at the growth point.  so now Madi's toenail is about 1/4 an inch narrower than it was this morning!  That is a permanent thing, so eventually her skin will grow up to where the new edge of her nail is.... And while I don't mind watching this kind of stuff on TV, or in the ER when I was getting my EMT certification.... watching my child with needles stuck in her foot and the doctor actually doing surgery....  well my knees got a bit wobbly and my head started spinning.  It is again now just thinking about it.  I guess it is different with other people than it is with your own kid!  Felt the same way when CG had a procedure a couple years ago that involved anesthetic shot and a scalpel!  "And I think maybe I should faint, but I don't"  (see backing up auto tune on you tube)

So..... tonight I am grateful for a church that cares about people in Dumas with no regard to what church they attend, or if they attend any church at all.  I am grateful for a church that DOES SOMETHING.  It's the physical going out and doing something that matters so much more than any amount of money you can give to a person or group!

Tonight I am also grateful for doctors who 1. care enough about their patients to send them to another doctor that can care for them better -- thank you Dr. Carter for sending us to Dr. Higgins-- and 2.  have the knowledge of what to do and the ability and skill to do what needs to be done to make things better for me and my family -- thank you Dr. Higgins!

PS - Madi's foot hurts but she was happy for the distraction of getting to hang out with a little friend!  Thank you Sky for inviting Madi to play, and thank you B and S for letting her stay!  Love you!!

gotta get some sleep so I can get up early tomorrow and treat Madi's foot.... and there's that dizzy feeling again!!!

Goodnight!
~staci~

1 comment:

  1. You're so silly, you use "Brian" in the top but B and S in the end... hahaha. You can use our names. That is so incredible that CBC was able to respond so instantly. God is good. Ya'll were able to show someone a little bit of Jesus who may not have ever seen him otherwise. That's important. I love you too. Madi was no problem at all, when they got loud they got sent right back to the back of the house (which is where Sky goes when she gets loud on her own anyways.) We love you all and you are all welcome any time!

    ReplyDelete